A conveyor impact bed is to assist the conveyor belt to absorb the impact from falling material. It can be used in many conveyor bulk material handling industries, such as aggregate, cement, metal mining, and non-metal mining applications. Compared with the traditional cushion rollers, the impact bed can avoid abrasion and tear by sharp materials and prevent materials from falling and scattering.
1. Benefits of Impact Bed
In the bulk material handling industries, materials continuously pass through various transfer points, and cause a huge impact on the equipment when falling, and accompanied by violent wear and tear. When the elastic coefficient of the surface of the equipment is not good enough, it may even cause unconventional scattering of materials, which bring serious waste problem. In order to solve this problem, the impact bed came into being.
Here are some main benefits of using impact bed:
- The surface contact between the impact bar and the conveyor belt will prevent damage to the conveyor belt;
- As the conveyor belt is evenly stressed at the blanking opening, it can greatly reduce the daily repair and maintenance costs;
- Effectively eliminate material splashing and leakage caused by uneven force on the conveyor belt;
- The smooth surface of ultra-high-density polyethylene minimizes the friction when the conveyor belt is running;
- The curved design of the polyethylene layer surface ensures the smooth operation of the conveyor belt;
- Ultra-high elastic special rubber layer can absorb the impact to the maximum;
- The design of the bottom steel structure makes disassembly and assembly quick and easy;
2. How the impact bed works
The impact bed is made of an impact bar, which includes 4 main parts: high molecular polyethylene surface, aluminum alloy frame, high-quality natural rubber damping layer, and metal seat. When the material falling impacts the belt, the belt sinks under the force to impact the impact bed.
The impact bar (a core component of the impact bed) will effectively absorb the impact, and reduce the damage to the belt. With the help of an impact bed, we can effectively extend the service life of the conveyor belt.
The scientific and reasonable design of the bed effectively reduces the probability of belt longitudinal tearing and effectively reduces the belt maintenance cost. The impact resistance of the impact bed is much higher than that of the traditional cushion roller, the service life of an impact bed is usually about 3-5 years, which is much longer than the cushion roller.
3. Impact Bed Types
The most common way to classify impact bed is according to the slider, the impact bed can be divided into ordinary impact bed and flame-retardant impact bed. The ordinary impact bed is usually used in power plants, conveying machinery plants, cement plants, mines, ports, and docks. The flame-retardant impact beds are used in coal washing plants and underground explosion-proof conditions.
Besides, the impact bed can be divided into flat, spring, large-angle, parallel, and composite heavy-duty types. The common structures of the impact bed are Channel steel and I-shaped steel design.
The impact bed with channel steel design is generally used in power plants, conveying machinery plants. I-shaped steel impact bed is often used in mines, coal washing plants, and cement plants.
The price of the impact bed is affected by both working conditions and design. The impact bed manufacturer will design different structure which needs different materials. If you are looking for an impact bed for your project, you’d better ask the impact bed supplier. They will custom a suitable impact bed for you.
4. How to select impact bed
When we selecting an impact bed, you need to provide 3 necessary pieces of information to your impact bed manufacturer, including bed width, impact bed application, and the conveyor belt mold. The impact bed selection is determined according to the width of the belt. Different belt widths will need different impact beds.
For example, for a belt conveyor with a 1000mm belt width, the impact bed is B=1000mm, L=1220mm, G=10 (the number of impact bars is 10, side + bottom + side = 3 + 4 + 3)
5. Impact Bed Installation Guide
When the impact bed leaves the factory, all parts have been assembled except for the adjusting rod. Here are the simple steps to install the impact bed:
1. Hoist the impact bed to the middle frame of the belt conveyor, the position should be aligned directly below the blanking opening, and fix the impact bed on the middle frame by the corner bolts on both sides of the base.
2. Install the adjusting rod to form the side frame of the impact bed into the required groove angle.
Note: In order to reduce the weight or lower the height for easy installation, the side frame of the impact bed can be removed.
Different groove angles are produced through the coordination of different holes on the side frame of the impact bed and the adjusting rod.
When installing the adjusting rod, holes 1 and D are a fixed fit. Then match through other holes as shown in the table below
- There must be rollers at both ends during the installation, or it will affect the service life of the impact bed
- Please prepare some necessary installation tools, including lifting appliances, Welding and gas cutting tools, and standard construction tools.
- The impact bar shall not collide during the installation and transportation.
- Avoiding exposure under the sun
- Before you start your conveyor, please make sure that all the tools are removed from the conveyor belt to avoiding any safety problems.